Dave Gerhart - 3d ArtistLast Updated Feb 2019
BACHELOR OF FINE ARTS – NEW MEDIA – University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB – 2007
- 3ds Max, Adobe Photoshop, ZBrush, Frostbite, Unity3d, Substance Painter, Quixel Suite, xNormal, Crazybump.
- Highly proficient at creating and manipulating textures in Photoshop.
- Strong focus on low/mid polygon modeling for a game environment.
- Proficient in high polygon sculpting, retopology, generating normal maps, and polypainting in ZBrush. Comfortable with workflow from ZBrush to 3ds Max and vice versa.
- Worked extensively with Frostbite 2 and Unity3d, including VR.
- Strong traditional arts background.
ENVIRONMENT ARTIST – Bioware, Edmonton, AB – September 2017 – Present
- Was responsible for a lot of asset creation on Anthem, including modeling, texturing, material upgrading, and optimization.
- Was one of the primary artists responsible for Fort Tarsis in Anthem.
SENIOR ARTIST – Serious Labs Inc., Edmonton, AB – May 2013 – September 2017
- As a Senior Artist my primary responsibilities included environment and prop modelling and texturing, level layouts, lighting, materials, mentoring and training of junior artists, and optimization. Additional responsibilities included in-engine cinematics, animation, character/creature modeling and texturing, particle effects, shaders, and occasional GUI and design work.
- Additionally I played the role of lead artist on many projects at the studio and in doing so I took responsibility for art direction, quality control, defining standards and pipeline, working with outsourcers, creating, prioritizing and delegating tasks, triage, and working with production management to allocate art resources appropriately.
- I was also the lead artist on Serious Labs' collaborative VR platform project.
INTERN ARTIST – Bioware, Edmonton, AB – February 2012 – April 2013
- Worked on hundreds of assets for Dragon Age: Inquisiton. Responsibilities included modeling, unwrapping, texturing, shader work, optimization and working closely with layout artists and designers to ensure in–game functionality of created assets.
TECHNICAL OUTSOURCING ASSISTANT – Bioware, Edmonton, AB – July 2011 – February 2012
- Responsible for facilitating feedback between in-house artists and outsourcers, as well as ensuring the outsourced assets were in line with technical specifications.
QUALITY ASSURANCE TESTER – Bioware, Edmonton, AB – November 2010 – August 2011
- Performed Quality Assurance on Dragon Age 2 and associated DLC.
CO-FOUNDER/LEAD ARTIST – Chaotic Studios Inc., Lethbridge, AB – 2006 – 2010
- Co-founded indie game developer Chaotic Studios in 2006 while completing post-secondary education. My main responsibilities included concept art, 3d modeling, texturing, rigging, level design, interface art/design, website art/design, sound design, music composition, lighting, and testing.
- Anthem (Environment Artist)
- Dragon Age 2 + DLC (Quality Assurance Tester)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (Intern Artist)
- Life Rules Module for Site Orientation (3D Artist)
- Underbalanced Regulatory Awareness (3D Artist)
- United Academy Aerial Boomlift Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Scissorlift Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Counterbalance Forklift Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Rough Terrain Forklift Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Excavator/Backhoe Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Skidsteer/Front End Loader Operator Training (Lead Artist)
- United Academy Fall Protection US (Lead Artist)
- Making and playing videogames.
- Honing my artistic skills, learning new techniques, and expanding my creativity.
- Working with a strong creative team to develop the best games in the world.
- Music, science, and learning.